Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Two-for-One Deal


Sorry I'm late today. Hubby's home sick with an upper respiratory infection. I'd rather have all three kids home with diarrhea and vomiting at the same time than one sick husband. Women...you know what I'm saying. Men...coughing and sniffling does NOT imply imminent death.

I can cover two subjects in one post: healthcare and Keith Olbermann.

Last night, I did end up taking the fourth child (hubby) to the emergency room for this cough he's had. Having Type 2 diabetes, we usually like to play it safe with him. Last night's visit would've been unnecessary if his doctor had tried a little thing called triage. My husband had called his doctor yesterday, and he was told to come in today. Never mind that he couldn't breathe, and the incessant coughing was driving me crazy. Any parent whose child has had croup can relate.

While in the ER, one can usually see some of the flaws in the healthcare system. The one that stood out most in my mind was a couple who had brought their child in for a runny nose. No cough, no fever, no vomiting, no diarrhea. Just a runny nose. It made me wonder if they were one of the many people who, getting government-paid healthcare, use the ER as their personal doctor's office.
They paid nothing for the runny nose, while we were charged a $50 copay by our insurance company. If Medicaid charged the same copay, I would bet that ER abuse would drop.

While waiting for chest x-ray results, we were channel surfing on the television my husband's curtain had. I stopped on an image of Sarah Palin, then the voice of Keith "I'm an Idiot" Olbermann screeched in my ears. He was blasting Sarah for comments she made saying that government needs to get out of the way of free people. His response? Mr. Olbamamann snickered as he said Palin is out of touch with what the people want, and that numerous polls show that the vast majority of people want bigger government. Where the hell did he get that??? Just another example of how the MSM is trying to spoon-feed the American people mush.

Our visit to the emergency room was, unusually, fast and thorough. One and a half hours from start to finish. The staff was very courteous and attentive. I can hardly wait to see how government is going to screw that up.

2 comments:

KOOK said...

Former great American Colin Powell (RINO) said almost the same thing so it must be in some sort of Liberal Talking Point Memo that we do not receive. I think I can speak for the growing less and less silent majority when I say, paraphrasing Ronaldus Magnus, "Government is not the Solution, it is the problem"

blackandgoldfan said...

KOOK: I agree with you 100%. We must continue becoming less and less silent. I think we have some traction to start going in that direction, and, God willing, we will be at warp speed in no time. Thanks for coming over!!