Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I'm White--And Proud of It!


After reading today about how a white teenager was viciously beaten by a group of black students on a bus in Belleville, IL, in what is quite possibly a racially-motivated incident, I want to say that I'm NOT racist. I am, though, white and very proud of it.

My paternal great-grandparents came from a former Eastern Bloc Communist country to make a better life for their children. My maternal ancestors are a mixed bag from all over Europe. Of this diverse heritage I am extremely proud.

Young blacks are taught from a very early age to be proud of their heritage, and I feel that they absolutely should be. Why is it so wrong for whites to proclaim the same pride in their lineage? For a white person to admit to being proud of who they are is considered blasphemy in many leftist/liberal circles. Why?

My presumption is that there is a whole group of whites in today's society who have been taught to feel guilty for past injustices to blacks. Some have labeled this as "white guilt". I feel none of that. Not because I agree with what has happened over the course of history, but because I have nothing to feel guilty about.

I have never owned slaves, nor would I want to. Human beings were not meant to be oppressed by anyone. Why, then, do some on the left believe that I should pay for sins committed in the past? If they want reparations, let them sue those who engaged in slavery. That includes tribal leaders in Africa who sold their own people to the Europeans for goods and money. Whites today are not responsible for slavery.

I have never turned a water hose on anyone, nor have I been a part of segregation. I have black friends and family members and do not judge them by the color of their skin. Separatism has no place in today's society, yet we have many blacks calling for separate this and separate that. How do they not see that it's segregation and that it's wrong? Oops...I forgot. It's different for the left.

I have never caused bodily harm or brought about the death of another human being because of skin color (or for any other reason). There are those in society who hold these neanderthal views of the world, but I am not one of them. When James Byrd, Jr. was dragged behind a pickup truck until he was decapitated in 1998, I was just as outraged as any member of the black community that someone could do that to another human being. But where is the outrage when a white is harmed or killed for being in the wrong neighborhood?

My message is this: Be proud of who you are whether you are black, white, Asian, purple, green, or any other color. Pride does NOT imply superiority.

11 comments:

Timeshare Jake said...

Although ignorance does center around colors, and I have a feeling we are going to see the prime example of that show up in Belleville, IL, in the next few days. Want to make a bet Jesse Jackson is eager to jump on the case?

Unknown said...

Well, I'm not proud of anything like that, since I have no control of my skin tone or nationality, but I have a great affection for my race - American.

I wasn't born in Ireland, Scotland, England, Germany, Norway, or the Cherokee Nation, like my ancestors were; I was born in America, I love America, therefore, my race is American.

Isn't it rather silly that forms requiring "race" include Latino, African-American, Innuit, Asian, and White/Other?

I'm sick to death of my race being called "white"... I am an American!

It is the Leftist idea of Collectivism that continues the presupposed notion of color-based races.

Snarky Basterd said...

I ain't Hunky, but I like 'em, BandG. And I'm proud to be pale skinned too.

blackandgoldfan said...

Son3: Welcome to my humble corner of the blogosphere!

You made an excellent point, and are spot on. We are all Americans. Not Afro-Americans or Native Americans, but simply Americans.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous to require one to list their race on any application. The only purpose it serves is to implement a quota system instead of judging on merit.

Thanks for reading!

blackandgoldfan said...

Dr. Dave: We have some of the best food around! And my grandmother knew how to cook all of it.

Amazing what can be done with noodles, potatoes, and cabbage.

Teresa said...

"white guilt" = White liberal

That is awesome, how proud you are of your heritage. I consider myself proud to be an American. Its been awhile since I've given any thought to where my relatives were from-Parts of Europe.

blackandgoldfan said...

Teresa: You are so right on your equation.

I am extremely proud of the things my ancestors have done to give their kids a better life. I think everyone should be proud of their heritage, and it makes me sad when "pride" is equated with "superiority."

Did you ever notice it usually isn't the right injecting race into an argument? Just an observation.

Teresa said...

BandG,
Yep. You are correct. Conservatives see everyone as equal, and not based on race, as Libs do.

Soloman said...

You make too much sense.

The left will surely hunt you down and hang you from your toenails for this excessively intelligent commentary.

blackandgoldfan said...

Con Lady: Isn't it a sorry statement on their part when that's all the artillery they have? If anyone is keeping minorities "down", it's Jackson and his ilk.

blackandgoldfan said...

Soloman: I'll make sure they're painted a very nice color! :-)