Monday, September 14, 2009

NYC Parks to Possibly Go Smoke-Free


Here come the smoking Nazis once again. According to cnsnews.com, Mayor Michael Bloomberg wishes to ban smoking in all 1,700 of the city's parks and 14 miles of beaches.

We all know that smoking is bad for you, but how far is this going to go? We smokers have slowly been forced outside to have a quick cig. We haven't been thrilled, but we've complied. Now, Bloomberg is taking another giant Mother-May-I step towards quashing personal freedom.

Thomas Farley, NYC Health Commissioner, has said that New Yorkers shouldn't have to breathe second-hand smoke, even outside. Mr. Farley has also said that children shouldn't have to see people smoking. Ah, there it is; the children card.

Besides the personal freedom aspect, my issue with this is one of enforcement. If someone is being mugged in Central Park, will the suspect get away because the police are too busy writing up people for smoking? This borders on insanity.

First they came for the cigarettes. I did not say anything because I was not a smoker.
They then came for the guns. I said nothing, I didn't hunt.
Then they came for the food. I did nothing because it's for the health of all.
When they came for my simple pleasure, no one spoke for me. It didn't affect them.

5 comments:

Timeshare Jake said...

1700 hundred parks, and New York claims it has a finanical crisis to justify high taxes. I think instead of shutting down smoking, they need to part with some parks.

blackandgoldfan said...

Amen, BB. Bloomberg is determined to stop smoking in NYC uber allis.

WomanHonorThyself said...

o gosh theyre comin to take us away haha ..sorry hun but the gummint now owns us!

blackandgoldfan said...

Angel: Good to see you! It's getting harder and harder to deal with this crap. I mean c'mon...they wanted everyone outside smoking, now they want that stopped. It's nuts!

The Right Guy said...

Apartments are next.