Monday, November 16, 2009

Sore Feet and Fatigue

I wrapped up my first weekend of work in about a year last night. All I can say is that this could be the downfall of B & G.

Saturday went fairly well. After my trip to Wal-Mart in the morning, I was able to get some stuff done around the house in preparation for company on Sunday. The night at work went well. I'm the kind of worker who doesn't like to stand around when it's slow, so I helped out where I could in between taking care of my hostessing duties. Came home not feeling too badly.

When I got home, I was still in my "wind down" phase, and the hubby took full advantage by telling me that the little princess needed a shower. My question to him was along the lines of WTF did you do all evening. Of course, that led into a ten-minute speech about how tired he was. Toward the end of it, all I heard was blah, blah, blah.

I put the angels to bed and decided that I'd chill for a while longer and get off my feet. I went downstairs to the family room (which is actually my Steeler room) and put The Replacements into the DVD player. Still feeling a little antsy, I pulled out my sewing machine and the Steeler material I had bought to make curtains for downstairs. An hour and a half later, I had a new Steeler apron to wear to work. Now I'm getting tired.

Upstairs to find the hubby snoring in bed. Not wanting to wake the sleeping giant, I took my pillows and grabbed a blanket to go to the couch.

Just about the time I start to doze off, I hear something moving around on the porch. I look out the door to see our beagle staring at me. He had escaped from his kennel, and I decided to just put him out on the lead for the night. I'll tell the hubby to fix the kennel in the morning. Getting a little testy from fatigue. Back to the couch.

Rex, our beagle, was not happy. The barking started and didn't stop. When he started barking, that got our pit bull in the house barking. Mind you, I'm the only one getting up to do anything about it. Finally, Rex calmed down enough to let me try to go to sleep.

Fifteen minutes later, it started again. This time, Zeus, the pit, decided to sit this one out. I go out in my nightshirt to see what's up with the dog who is on his way to a Chinese restaurant if he keeps it up. Everything seemed okay. He had water and a place to lay down, so I went back in.

The next time he started barking, I marched into the bedroom and flipped the light switch. Standing at the foot of the bed, I yelled, "It's your turn!" I think the hubby knew not to linger in bed. He went out to try and defuse the situation.

When he came back in, things had seemed to finally calm down. By this time, it's 3:30 a.m. NOW I can go to sleep until 6:45 a.m. when I knew I had to get up and get ready for company during the game.

I spent the morning running Cheyenne to CCD, cooking, cleaning, and making sure all was right while HE laid in bed. Oh, the names a pissed off wife can come up with!

After the stinker of a game, it was time for me to go back to work. Needless to say, I wasn't my usual perky self. In fact, I was a bitch. I guess lack of sleep will do that to a person.

I got home early as business was slow only to have to do a repeat of shower time with Cheyenne. By this time, my feet are screaming at me to sit down. I think they were going to go on strike.

I got to lay in the arms of Morpheus for about an hour when my mother-in-law calls to see if hubby's home (it's 11:30 p.m.) because our cousin showed up at their house fully loaded. Hubby was already with said relative, so I just went back to bed only to have my legs and feet start twitching. Those of you who work on your feet all day know what I mean.

I got up at 5:30 a.m. to start the school routine. Once again, I go out for a cig only to find "Houdini" had struck again. The rest of the morning was spent cursing the dog and fixing the kennel while getting the kids to the bus. Long about 9:30 a.m., I said "Screw it" and shut the phone off and spent ALL DAY doing the bare minimum of life.

Tomorrow night is a fundraiser for a local boy with cancer. It'll be one of the few times I'll work a weeknight, and it should be pretty busy. I just hope I'm in better shape than the weekend.


Amusing Bunni said...

Sorry you had such a tiring time. You should visit my post and watch a bunny relax!
Working is highly overrated, isn't it?

blackandgoldfan said...

It most certainly is, hon. Damn that bill-paying crap! lol

Soloman said...

I'll bet had your Steelers won you'd be a lot less pissed off. My Broncos just gave away a 3-game division lead over the course of three weeks, so trust me I feel that pain.

Anyway, I'm guessing you'll get used to it. And the hubby will learn to pull his weight or I'm thinking you'll find ways to make him figure it out.

blackandgoldfan said...

I'm sure I'll adjust, Soloman. The hubby? Let's just say that it'll probably take a small nuclear-type explosion on my part to get him to see the light.

Bungalow Bill said...

Your work schedule has taken away my buddy? Missing you online!

blackandgoldfan said...

Missing everyone, too. No worries. I'll get into a routine in no time! ;-)

Sue said...

HAVE to post...CANNOT stop myself...

Loving me some Bengal defense right about now...

blackandgoldfan said...

Sue: :-P Gloating is so unbecoming, hon. lol

smilinggreenmom said...

Aww....sounds tough. Hang in there though :) You know what I like to do when I am feeling overwhelmed and overworked and sore and blah blah blah? RELAX! You should give yourself some pampering somehow and if it soreness you have, I love my Topricin natural pain cream whenever I get little aches and pains. Again, take care of yourself and find a way to just relax! :)

blackandgoldfan said...

Thanks, smiling! Welcome to my little corner of cyberspace!

I'll try the Topricin. My knees just aren't what they used to be.

Hope to see you soon!