Last night's game was, in one word, AWESOME! Yes, the taste of victory makes it sweeter, but I have to give credit to the Detroit Red Wings for making this a fantastic series. They played with heart and helped make it a series I will long remember. Who knows? Maybe next year will be Detroit-Pittsburgh cup final #3. Both teams have the potential with mega-talent to spare.
Last night marks a few milestones for the Pens. Just a few:
- Sidney Crosby becomes the youngest captain in the NHL to hoist the cup. He's 21.
- The Penguins became the first NHL team since the 1971 Montreal Canadiens to win Game 7 of the last series on the road.
- The Pens are the first team since the 1984 Edmonton Oilers to win a Final rematch against a team that bested them the previous season.
- The average age of Pittsburgh's stars is 22 (based on Crosby (21), Staal (20), Letang (21), Talbot (25), Malkin (22), and Fleury (24)).
- The Pens become only the fourth team in NHL history to come back from 0-2 to win the cup.
- Mario Lemieux becomes the first Hall of Famer to win the cup both as a player and a primary owner of a team.