As a former teenager of the 1980's, I have to admit that in some ways, I'm stuck there. I love the music, movies, and TV shows of long ago. I really wasn't into politics back then. I was just too self-absorbed.
I thought that I'd pop a little quiz on yinz to lighten things up in these times of uncertainty. Hopefully, those of you who grew up in that era will have a few good memories rekindled.
Score one point for each correct answer (NO GOOGLING! That's cheating!):
- While Dutch was busy hanging out with Gorbachev, who did Nancy entertain? (No, the answer "Mrs. Gorbachev" doesn't count!)
- What was the name of the teacher Jeff Spiccoli called a "dick" in Fast Times at Ridgemont High?
- Name the very first video (song and artist) played on MTV.
- The movie Flashdance spawned two fashion trends. Name them.
- What movie had John Larroquette watching a bevy of babes taking a shower through binoculars?
- "Valley Girl" was a one-hit wonder for Frank Zappa's daughter. What are her first AND middle names?
- Clara Peller asked what question on behalf of Wendy's?
- The world tuned in to see the marriage of Prince Charles of Wales. What was Princess Diana's maiden name?
- Only one James Bond movie theme ever made it to number one on the Billboard charts. Name the movie and the artist who sang the theme.
- On January 20, 1980, the Iranian hostages headed home. How long had they been in captivity?
- On TV's "Night Court," how did Harry Stone become a judge?
- What Madonna video prompted Pepsi to pull their sponsorship?
- What former trade union leader led the Solidarity movement in Poland which won him the Nobel Peace Prize in 1983?
- Why did the United States boycott the 1980 Olympic games held in Moscow?
- Contrary to popular belief, "Thriller" was not the most expensive music video of the 1980's. What was?
- What was the name of the Japanese car company in the 1986 Michael Keaton comedy film Gung Ho?
- On the TV show "Family Ties," what was Elise Keaton's profession?
- What actress was would-be assassin John Hinckley, Jr. obsessed with?
- Name the captain of the 1980 Winter Olympics "Miracle on Ice" U.S. Hockey Team.
- On the TV show "Cheers," what was the name of Cliff Clavin's wife?