Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Flight 93: A Powerful Tribute



With the eight-year anniversary of the worst terrorist attack on American soil fast approaching, I wanted to pay tribute to the heroes of United Flight 93. Shanksville is not far from where I live, so this aspect of that horrible day is very close to my heart.

I remember that day as one that started off in a typical manner. I got the boys up and out the door to school. While outside on the porch for a cig, I couldn't help but notice what a beautiful day it was. A cloudless sky with moderate temperatures. It was perfect.

I came inside when I heard the phone ring. It was my step-father. "Do you have the t.v. on? A plane just hit the World Trade Center." I tuned in just in time to see the second plane hit the towers.

We chatted briefly and decided to hang up and follow the events unfolding before our eyes. Minutes later, he called again to tell me that a plane had crashed near Somerset, Pennsylvania. My step-sister's husband was an EMT and had heard the news over the scanner. I felt violated and confused. My first reaction was to go get my boys from school. Should I? Do they really know how much I love them? Will they be safe? These thoughts consumed me. I prayed to God to keep them safe until they returned home.

As we got more news over the following days, I came to realize just what kind of special people were on that plane. The story of the soldiers who enlisted in mid-flight came to symbolize what makes this country great. Free people thinking free thoughts decided to take a stand and protect their beloved country from the evil that had overtaken the cockpit.

Unfortunately, the memorial now being built to honor those brave men and women is also going to remember the terrorists who killed 40 innocent people. There are too many symbolic references built into the design for me to go into, but I highly recommend the book Crescent of Betrayal: Dishonoring the Heroes of Flight 93. If you want a brief synopsis of the controversy, here is the link to the website. It'll keep the anger alive.

While I continue to pray for all the lives lost on that day (except for the terrorist dirtbags), I do not want their memory being put side by side with those who killed them. I found this great video tribute on youtube. As you watch, please remember those who fought and won the first battle against Islamic fascism.





Let's Roll.

5 comments:

Timeshare Jake said...

The crescent makes me sick. Did you go to the site after it happened?

blackandgoldfan said...

BB: It makes me ill also. How disrespectful!

No, I didn't go after the crash. I don't think that I could've handled all the raw emotion at that time. I do plan on going there Thursday, however. I want to get my own pics of this disgrace being built to honor true heroes.

blackandgoldfan said...

BOF: Thank, sweetie! I hope to get some really good pics on Thursday. I want to honor the heroes and never let people forget.

I'll update you after the dr. Right now, all's quiet on the black and gold front.

Love ya, too!!! :-D

Soloman said...

My younger brother was on vacation, mountain-biking in your neck of the woods that day. Said he heard the plane fly overhead and knew something was wrong, it was so close. That was a sadly shortened vacation...

Me, I awoke to a phone call at about 5:30am (3hr time difference) and sat in front of the TV all day, numb. Had to work that night with no news source. Went home and sat up all night, finally slept the next night after work.

Never forget.

blackandgoldfan said...

Soloman: I, too, sat numb for days. At one point, I seemed to run out of tears.

My sister-in-law recalls something similar to your brother. She was working at Seven Springs Resort and remembers seeing the jet flying very low. It's forever burned into her memory.

As long as God gives me the ability to communicate, I'll make sure that NO ONE ever forgets.

God bless!